Friday, June 15, 2012

So you wanna Transition to Natural hair........?

Since I have been in transition for approximately 12 months, I feel like I have learned a thing or two about transitioning hair.  My goal is to help out my fellow ladies and gentlemen that wishes to transition as well.  To make the transition easier being prepared will make the difference. 

First off, I hope you have a clear reason as to why you are transitioning.  Whether the reason is because you have been curious about your natural tresses, you have damaged your tresses, maybe you have relaxer horror stories, or you want a more healthier overall lifestyle.  I would just encourage that you seek your soul and identify YOUR reasoning for wanting to grow out your natural hair.  I think this will help you stay on track with this journey because, yes, this will be a journey and as with any journey only the most determined will survive. 

Transitioning is not any easy task.  It takes times, dedication, stamina, patience, lots and lots of patience, willingness to learn and adaption. 

You will have to adapt to a new way of thinking, a new way of styling your hair, and a new way as to how other people will relate to you with transitioning hair.  Styling is a new challenge in and of its self.  When you were relaxed....well I know for me, I never really thought about how to comb my hair.  I just put the comb to the root and raked it through.  During your transition that is a big no! no! You can risk breaking your fragile tresses and the reason we have decided to transition is to keep as much of our hair as possible, right?!  So, readjusting the way you approach your hair  care is going to be necessary.  Now, I will say it is going to take some time to get used too.  Of course, we know we are not perfect, and we will make mistakes, but the key is to learn from them.  I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about transitioning and natural hair during this time.  As with any thing practice makes perfect. 

Also, remember that the best way to transition is with what is called protective styling.  That can be anything from weaves to braids, from mini twist to corn rolls.  However you choose to transition is up to you. But you need to be fully aware of your lifestyle and the needs of your hair. Let me encourage you to be patient!  Be patient with hair and be patient with yourself.

Patience is one thing that I know is very hard to master.  We want those natural curls and we want them NOW!!! But unless we decide to big chop (BC) we have to exercise patience. It will take time for your hair to grow, its gonna take time to find what products work for your transitioning hair, it's gonna take time to determine the correct styling technique that will make your hair look its best.  Yes, seriously patience is a well deserved virtue.  So if there was ever a time to call upon it, it is definitely now.  

With that said, let me explain why stamina is important.  I am on my second attempt at transitioning.  The first time I felt like "I need a relaxer I cannot comb this nappy stuff!"  I have a thick head of hair.  It tangles very easily and I have never dealt with it in any other manner but relaxed or curly permed aka jerhi curl.  So if the comb did not go through my hair easily from root to tip then I knew it was time for some kind of chemical to be laid on my hair to make it silky manageable again.  Well, being the second time around, I am determined to see this through! Stamina is oh so important. You have to see this journey through to the end.  You have to keep pushing on even on those days that you can't figure out how to make your hair "acceptable" to leave the house.  Only a dedicated transitioner will get creative and keep on keeping on!

So stay dedicated and I know by the end of the journey you will be so so happy with your tresses.  We truly have an exquisite head of hair.  Our hair can be kinky, wavy, curly, afro-y, straight, or coiled and still be beautiful, fashionable, individualized, and trend setting.  Our tresses our our own as we are learning no two heads of hair are alike.  Continue to pull through show off your EXQUISITE TRESSES!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment