Monday, November 14, 2011

Flaxseed Gel, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil & Shea butter makes for one bouncy two strand twist bob

I just had to brag about the two hand twist out I did on my hair over the weekend.  I've had my oils for some time now and I've been watching YouTube, of course, trying to figure out how I am going to use them.  I know I need a regime especially when transitioning because the hair is more susceptible to breakage and excessive shedding.  I have actually been experiencing excessive shedding and breakage lately so I wanted to do a protective style to help me care for my hair.  Well I love two strand twist because it an easy style and fairly quick to do --its sort of a 2-for-1 style.  I can wear it as two strand twist for up to a week and the wear the twist out for about a week.  I can even get more creative if I want to but time does not allow that very often.  So anyway,  in addition to the oils I decided to use try out the flaxseed gel especially bc I knew I was gonna need something to hold my twists taut.  When I decided to transition I vowed to use all natural homemade products on my hair.  I really like the idea of having complete control of what I am putting into my hair.  I want not only length but also a healthy head of curls.  I know to help achieve this I need to put in nourishing products.

In trying to figure out what can I do to stop the shedding and breakage I again looked to YouTube and google searches.  In all my searches the common solution was asking the same question "How much are you oiling your hair?" Well for me it was not hardly.  I mean I religiously wash once a week Oil when I do my initial style but that's it.  See when I was relaxed my hair would hold oil so I had gotten used to holding off on the oil so much.  I mean my definition of oil was oil moistures such as PINK oil or Pantene moisturizing creme.  So oiling on a regular is somewhat forgein to me.  I really am going to have to get use to the thought of feeding my hair oil more that once a week or so.  Some ladies suggested oiling as much as twice a day (I imagine that is for extremely dry hair).   The trick for me is figuring out how much oil my unrelaxed hair need to thrive and how much my relaxed hair need to maintain. 

So what's my reaction to flaxseed gel, oils, and butter twist?  GREAT!!!!! I absolutely love it.  The gel provided enough hold to keep the braids from unraveling as well as providing the nourishment of the seeds.  The oils gave my hair the much needed conditioning as well as the antioxidants, vitamins, and protection that it needed to start the process of stopping the breakage and promote growth while maintain the length and over health of my hair.  I received numerous compliments while out and about as to how shiny my braids looked how bouncy they were (which mean no weighting down from too much oils and gels).  My hair felt good, airy and breezy!  I am definitely using this as my go to winter protective style!

Regime:
Cowashed, hot oil treatment which included jojoba, coconut, almond, castor, olive, and grapeseed oils. Covered with plastic cap for 30 mins with a towel wrapped around my head.  Shampoo washed, conditioned.  Parted in four sections detangled applied leave in conditioner and then saturated each section with olive and coconut oil, sealed with shea butter twisted with flaxseed gel that I added vitamin E to, and let dry over night. Note:  Hair did become dry during the process so I sprayed the dried areas with water as I braid. 

 If you used the gel let me know how your continued results have been.  If you can testify that oils is the answer to ending breakage please also let me know as i am really trying to remedy this issue.  Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment