Wednesday, November 9, 2011

manage my transitioning hair

What am I using to manage my transitioning hair? 

Like many of you all I am hooked on youtube.  I like seeing what is working for some and not so much for others.  I am very intrigued with the many different regimes that each natural has come up with to deal with their texture of hair.  I also love that it has brought so many people in the kitchen to mix up shea butter mixes, deep conditioners, no-poos, shampoos, oil mixes, growth serums, remedies for dry hair, fizzy hair, kinky hair etc.  Its very interesting that our hair has so many dimensions and require so many strategies. I am so anxious to discover how my hair looks with no relaxers, flat irons, curling irons or any heat what so ever applied to it.  I have already been experimenting with coconut oils, shea butters, almond oils, castor oil, natural shampoos, conditioners, and of course water.

From my relaxed days I know my hair responds well to weekly washings and conditionings, I used to deep condition once a month and moisturize every other day.  I plan to still follow this plan because my hair has always been healthy.  I used to get trims every  6 weeks or so.  Now I plan on moving it to every 8 weeks.  I also plan on maintaining lots of protective styles to keep my health especially while transitioning.  I know that line of demarcation needs to be treated with intense care and I want to minimize the breakage as much as possible.

The good thing about transitioning is that I can play with hair styles  now.  My favorite style is twist outs.  I love the waviness of the braided hair.  I also love rocking the braids in a bob style.  While my hair is twisted up (in tiny tiny twist) I can style it as if it was a wrap, I can pull it back in a bun, pin it up, push it all to the side.  Whatever I wanna to do with it.  I can keep that up for up to a week (longer but I be needing a change).  After the week is over I unbraid it and switch up the style and wear it in a variety of ways until it becomes too unmanageable. 

This is just the beginning of my journey........

No comments:

Post a Comment